Smudging is a wonderful practice for cleansing and purifying your space, but it’s also important to set an intention for your smudging ceremony. One way to do this is to recite a mantra or affirmation while you’re smudging. Having a list of mantras to say while smudging will help you to stay focused on your intention and get the most out of your cleansing ritual.
What Is Smudging
Smudging is the practice of burning dried plants and using the smoke to cleanse and purify a space. It’s a tradition that’s been used for centuries by many different cultures, and it’s still widely practiced today. Smudging is thought to rid a space of negative energy, clear away any bad vibes, and promote positive energy.
Related: 5 Herbs To Clear Your Home Of Negative Energy
Native Americans believed negative energies could attach themselves to people and objects, and smudging was a way to cleanse these energies. A smudging prayer or mantra is often used to accompany the burning of sage, sweetgrass, or other plants. Indigenous peoples would sometimes use a smudging ceremony to prepare for important events, such as a hunt or a meeting with another tribe.
The practice of smudging has seen a resurgence in recent years as a popular way to clear a new home of negative energy or evil spirits. It’s common to use sacred smoke to cleanse areas where you may feel stagnant energy or low vibrational energy like the front door. The goal of smudging is to create a fresh start, free of any negativity.
During a smudging ceremony, you’ll light a smudge stick (a bundle of dried herbs, typically a sage stick, palo santo, or other sacred herbs) and allow the smoke to waft through the room. As you do this, you’ll want to focus on your intention for the space. This is where mantras can be helpful.
Mantras are short, powerful phrases that you can repeat to yourself to help focus your attention and achieve a specific goal. When you recite a mantra while smudging, you’re infusing your space with positive energy and setting an intention for your cleansing ritual. Repeating a mantra also helps to keep you focused on your intention and can make your smudging ceremony more effective.
Related: 100 Powerful and Positive Mantras for Confidence
Using mantras while smudging is a great way to infuse your space with positive energy, set an intention for your cleansing ritual, and keep yourself focused on what you’re trying to achieve. Smudging is an incredibly powerful practice, and adding a mantra can help you to get the most out of it.
The purpose of your chosen mantra will vary but there are a few essential factors to consider:
- Energetic flow – within your home, what is the energetic flow that you are hoping to achieve? Creativity, love, peace?
- Space – is there a specific area of your home that you would like to focus on?
- Personal intention – what do you hope to achieve through your smudging ceremony?
With these factors in mind, below is a list of mantras to say while smudging. Choose the one that resonates most with you and your intention for your cleansing ritual.
Here are 55 mantras to say while smudging:
1. I am cleansing my space of all negative energy.
2. Bad energy, you are not welcome here.
3. I am releasing all negative energy and emotions.
4. I am surrounded by love and light.
5. This is a sacred space for positive energy only.
6. I am safe and protected.
7. I am filling my space with love and light.
8. Beautiful things happen here.
9. I am attracting positivity and abundance.
10. I am open to love and all good things.
11. My entire home is filled with love and light.
12. I am grateful for this clean and sacred space.
13. I am blessed beyond measure.
14. I have a beautiful life and a beautiful home.
16. My space is a reflection of my inner peace.
17. Negative entities, leave my space now.
18. I am surrounded by white light.
19. This space is for love, joy, and happiness.
20. This is the right place for me.
21. The divine abundance of creativity flows through my home.
22. Spirits of the land, thank you for protecting my space.
23. I am surrounded by healing energy.
24. My home is a haven of peace and tranquility.
25. I am at peace in my home.
26. I am connected to the divine energy of the universe.
27. Good spirits, guide me as I cleanse my space.
28. Nonbenevolent beings, leave my space now.
29. I am releasing all that no longer serves me.
30. I am creating a space of love and light.
31. I am ready to receive all good things.
32. My home is a sacred space of love, light, and positivity.
33. I am thankful for this beautiful space.
34. Good fortune comes to those who live in this space.
35. All is well in my home.
36. I invite positivity into this open space
37. Divine light, please fill this space.
38. I am ridding my space of all negativity.
39. My home is a reflection of my heart.
40. I am creating a safe and sacred space for myself.
41. I am setting the intention of love in this space.
42. Angels, please surround me as I cleanse my place.
43. I am releasing fears, doubts, and worries.
44. May this space be filled with only good vibrations.
45. I open myself up to love and all forms of abundance
46. As I enter this home, may peace reside here
47. I clear this space of any unwanted or negative energy
48. A great spirit resides here
49. I am love, I am light
50. This space is for relaxation and rejuvenation
51. All that I need comes to me effortlessly
52. I AM protected, I AM safe
53. My home is my sanctuary
54. Only good things happen here
55. Love flows through this space freely and abundantly
How To Use Mantras While Smudging
It’s a good idea to choose a mantra before you start your smudging ceremony. This will help you to keep your focus and stay on track. To begin you will need a few supplies:
- Essential oils – this helps to set the mood and add to the cleansing effect of your smudging ceremony.
- Mantra – choose one that resonates with you and your intention
- Smudge stick – this can be a white sage bundle, palo santo, or any other dried herbs
- Abalone shell or fireproof bowl – to catch the ashes and protect your surfaces
- Matches or lighter – to light your smudge stick
These powerful tools will help you to cleanse your space, set an intention, and focus your attention.
- Start by lighting your smudge stick and placing it in the abalone shell or fireproof bowl.
- Take a few deep breaths and focus on your intention.
- Hold your smudge stick in one hand and use the other hand to waft the smoke around your space.
- As you do this, recite your mantra out loud or in your head.
- Continue until you have smudged every corner of your space.
- When you’re finished, extinguish your smudge stick and allow it to cool completely before disposing of it.
Additional Benefits To Using Mantras While Smudging
Your physical space is not the only thing that benefits from smudging. Your mind and body will also reap the rewards of this cleansing ritual. During this ancient practice, negative ions are released into the air, which has been shown to have a positive effect on our mood and health.
Related: 25 Root Chakra Mantras To Help You Feel Balanced And Grounded
Your physical body also benefits from the smoke of these fragrant plants. The chemical compounds in the smoke have been shown to kill bacteria and viruses, purify the air, and improve respiratory health. Burning herbs have also been used for centuries to relieve stress, anxiety, and depression.
The physical air isn’t the only thing that gets cleared during a smudging ceremony. The act of saying mantras out loud can also help to clear your mind and emotions. Reciting positive affirmations helps to retrain your brain and change the way you think about yourself and your life.
The Smoke Clears The Way For New Beginnings
Just as the smoke from your smudge stick clears the air in your home, it can also clear the way for new beginnings in your life. This cleansing ritual is the perfect way to start fresh after a breakup, divorce, job loss, or any other major life event.
It can also be used as a way to let go of old patterns and behaviors that no longer serve you. If you’re struggling to break free from a toxic relationship or addiction, smudging can help to clear the way for positive change. Smudging is also a powerful tool for anyone who is grieving the loss of a loved one.
Taking the time to cleanse your space and mind will help you to feel lighter, brighter, and more at peace. The next time you’re feeling stuck, stressed, or just need a fresh start, try smudging your space with some mantras. You may be surprised at how much better you feel.
Energy clearing work can be very powerful. Pay special attention to how you feel after your smudging ceremony. Check to see if you have freed your home of any heaviness or leftover energy from a negative event. Also, take notice of any changes in your mood or mental state. If you find that your mind is more at ease and your body feels lighter, then you know your smudging ceremony was successful.
If at any point you feel like you need to take a break, please do so. This work can be intense, and it’s important to listen to your body. Drink plenty of water, eat grounding foods, and take some time for yourself.
Smudging is a powerful cleansing ritual that can help to remove negative energy from your home, office, or any other space. Adding a mantra to your smudging ceremony can help you to focus your attention and achieve a specific goal. Choose a mantra that resonates with you and your intention, and say it aloud or in your head as you waft the smoke around your space.
You may be surprised at how much more effective your smudging ritual is with the addition of a mantra!